Sunday 20 September 2009

The Journey from Gate E14


The flight was largely uneventful. Actually, I conveniently slept through most of it. As of this moment, I am unhindered by any trace of jet-lag. Though perhaps this will change. Especially now that it's on my mind. Hmm.

Anyway, trudging on...As most readers should know, I am Lauren, and I am finally studying at Goldsmiths, University of London after a long summer of in-theory preparation and a lifetime of anticipation. Studying abroad, and in London, has been a part of my plan since before I even knew what college really was. There are many reasons why London is my choice. I think I'll get to them later, though, and recap my arrival for now.

So, the flight. I sat next to a very friendly British couple that I was sitting close to in the waiting room/terminal. I remember this because I accidentally hit Mr. Brit with my jacket sleeve, apologized (as is my custom) and he said "Oh, what a polite young lady!"

Normally such a comment would bug me, but he was British, and I crave their approval. Especially the older ones. This will inevitably become a deep, scarring, psychological problem. So I was pleased. And very excited. Also, I could see that Mr. Brit was reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" which was nice. I haven't read it, but it takes place in Savannah, and I love and recently visited Savannah. I rather saw it as a cosmic goodbye from my homeland. I also remember that there was a screaming child, and inedible chicken, but, as I said, I slept. So my memory of the flight is largely and elusively fantastical (dreams).

Entering the country was easy-peezy. Almost...too easy? I was actually a little terrified to see a woman at the entrance holding a sign with my name. Wasn't I supposed to get the bus at 1 p.m.? Wasn't I supposed to have many, many issues getting into the country? This couldn't be for me!

It was! The woman brought me to a man who brought me to a car which brought me (and the man, who drove it) to Goldsmiths, University of London (henceforward, just "Goldsmiths"). I was flabbergasted the whole way. It was a personal valet situation! When Northeastern doesn't communicate something to me, isn't it supposed to be an annoyance? Nevertheless, after the initial shock, I had to admit that residential London looks a lot like Boston's Back Bay. Ugh. Have I really given up a semester in Boston for a semester in "Boston"?

That's when we crossed a bridge (London Bridge?) and I was looking at the London Eye. I knew what that meant. I turned my head to the other window and saw The Houses of Parliament, and Big Ben. The driver mercifully ignored my squeaks.

I am in London.

P.S. Cockney slang that I don't understand of this entry: "P.O.B.": Says my driver to his mate on the phone "Sorry, Mate. I got P.O.B. at the moment." Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment